Saturday, September 7, 2013

Mainstreaming Mongo (A Play in Four Acts)

Act I

Scene:  High school athletic field, before start of first football practice.  Five players in uniform are talking when a transfer student approaches them.

Jock 1:  Holy...look at what's coming!

Jock 2:  My god!  What do you think?  Six-five, 225?

Jock 1:  At least!

Jock 3:  That guy's huge!  His biceps are as big as my quads!

Jock 1:  Hey!  New guy!  Come here!

New guy:  Okay, let's get this over with.

Jock 1:  Get what over with?

New guy:  You know, first day in the 'hood, you're gonna show the new guy the pecking order.  So, who's first?

Jock 1:  First for what?  Oh, I get it.  You think we're gonna gang up on you, is that it?

New guy:  Isn't that what this is about?

Jock 1:  Nah, man.  We're just wondering why you aren't in uniform.

New guy:  Not playing football.  Just passing by.

Jock 3:  Not playing?  Why the hell not?  I mean, look at you.  Coach'd kill to have you on the team.  You scared of getting hit, or something?

New guy:  Played JV at my last school, till they kicked me off the team.  The other schools' teams felt it wasn't fair, me being so big.  I kept throwing their center into the quarterback.  They could never get a play off.

Jock 4:  That why you transferred over here?

New guy:  That, plus there was an incident I was involved in.

Jock 1:  What happened?

New guy:  I don't like talking about it.  Just that two seniors missed graduation because they were in body casts, and I transferred.  That's all.

Jock 1:  Oh, here comes the coach now.  He must have seen you, 'cause look at him running!  Man, I ain't never seen him move that fast!

Jock 2:  And here's a heads up for when you start classes.  This one jerk history teacher likes to flunk students who are into sports so they lose their eligibility.  He'll probably pick on you just because you look like a jock.  Just yes, sir, no, sir him to death.  Should be okay.

New guy:  I know how to deal with him.  Maybe you can help?

Jock 1:  Sure!  I mean, what can he do?  Flunk all of us?  Coach'd have his balls in a nutcracker!

New guy:  Good.  Here's what I have in mind....

(Curtain)

No comments:

Post a Comment